Dr. Farimah Omidi
Owners of the innovation:
Acknowledgment: Congratulations on being one of the pioneer innovators who have obtained the IFIA Innovation Standard certificate (IIS).
Following your inquiry for an IIS certification, the jury board evaluated your application according to the criteria. And after the assessment and examinations, your innovation was granted with IFIA Innovation Standard Grade B.
IFIA hopes that by having this certification, you will take an essential step in the commercialization of your innovation. Also, by entering international markets, you can contribute to the realization of the global slogan: Generating wealth through innovative knowledge.
The Summary of Innovation:
Today, our world is facing major challenges such as climate change, natural disasters, vanishing ecosystems, personal and public sanitation and hygiene, Pandemic, water quality, wastewater, and water scarcity. All of these challenges are being felt through the water.
Based on UN Sustainable Development Goal 6, committed countries must ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all by 2030. This is despite the fact that 2 billion people are still (2021) facing a lack of safely managed drinking water and 129 countries are not on the track to having sustainably managed water resources by 2030. If current trends persist, billions of children and families will be left without critical, lifesaving water services in 2030. Only 81% of the world population will have access to safe drinking water at home leaving 1.6 billion without. In addition, a reliable supply of clean water is essential to keep women and children healthy and safe. So, they will be able to practice hygiene and access safe drinking water with dignity.
On the other hand, climate change also affects agriculture and food production system due to water scarcity quantitatively and qualitatively. The impact of food scarcity is no smaller than lack of water since it affects mostly women and children. In this regard, scientists, water experts and politicians are going to need faster, easier to use and more advanced water examination tools in order to level up the researches through decision making.
As a water expert with nearly 16 years of research experience, as a woman who wants the empowerment of women all around the world, as a mother and as a citizen of a severely stressed country, I felt the necessity of taking a step to pave the path towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals. So, I came up with the idea of and applicable tool in order to provide access to safe drinking water for all.
This device is called AQUARATE which is generally used to measure water pollution. The device is a small gadget which connects to mobile phone and measures the water quality factors by small sensors. AQUARATE measures water quality as follows:
- TDS: AQUARATE measures the amount of Total Dissolved Solids in the range of (0 – 1000 ppm) (1000 – 10000 ppm) (10.1 – 200.1 ppt).
- Temperature: The range of temperature measurement is (0 – 40 ºC).
- Hardness: The device measures the amount of 〖CaCO〗_3in the range of ( 0 – 350 ppm).
- EC: The device measures Electronic Conductivity in the range of (0 – 10000 μS⁄cm) or (10.01 – 199.99 mS) or (20.1 – 400 mS⁄cm).
- PH: AQUARATE measures the amount of acidity in the range of (0.01 – 14.00).
- Salinity: The device measure salinity in the range of (0.00 ~ 25 %) or (10.1 – 200 ppt).
- S.G: AQUARATE measures the Specific Gravity of the fluid (gr⁄〖cm〗^3 ).
- Fluoride: The device measures the amount of Fluoride in the range of ( 0.0 – 2.0 mg⁄lit )
- DO: The device measures the amount of Dissolved Oxygen (ppm).
- ORP: AQUARATE measures the Oxidation Reduction Potential in the range of ( 0 – 1000 (mvolt)).
Why is this innovation eligible to receive the IIS certification?
It can be used by a wide range of audiences such as ordinary people, water expert, farmers, scientists and students. Among the features of AQUARATE, the most important ones are:
- By helping people to make sure about the quality of water, it is a device that accelerates the movement towards the sustainability managed and safe drinking water resources.
- AQUARATE works by connecting to a mobile phone, so it does not need extra energy source or batteries.
- It is easily available for all the people around the world due to its proper size and affordable price.
- This device is user friendly and works with simple application installed on mobile phones.
- Since we use electronic wastes to produce this device, AQUARATE is environmental friendly and recyclable which is of major importance in modern industry.
- Applying electronic waste to produce this device, decreases production costs significantly which allows the device to be available to the public at a very affordable price.
- The feature that makes AQUARATE a different device is that other than general application, it can also be used by scientists, water experts, farmers and students in order to make it easier and more affordable to implement on field water examinations due to its expandable mobile application.
- AQUARATE does not need calibration on the contrary to other water examiner tools which makes it even more user friendly.
In addition, we considered some extra features to make the production procedure more sustainable, less time and money consuming and more environmental friendly:
- This device can be exchanged for electronic waste; In the sense that, one can hand the equivalent amount of electronic waste which is determined by the producer and get an AQUARATE in exchange.
- We guaranty to exchange the older device with a new one in case of any measurement errors or damages, free of charge.