Mothapo Development Organization
Founded in 2018
Mothapo Development Organization (MDO) was established on 7 February 2018 at the Law Office of the Kingdom of Lesotho. The Organization was inspired by the non-existence of an inventors and innovators association in Lesotho. This is more especially so because the lack of intellectual property awareness in Lesotho amongst ordinary citizens contributes to the lack of motivation to create new inventions and innovations, especially amongst poor yet creative individuals.
This is why 10 extra-ordinary Basotho men and women decided to form Mothapo Development Organization with the aim of lobbying, organizing and encouraging inventors and innovators in Lesotho in a single voice. The name “Mothapo” means “root” which inspired the founding members on the vision that the root of development stems from creation of new technology and hence new industries.
Mr. Pitso Hloma
● To encourage the creation of new industries through commercialization of new technology and inventions;
● To encourage inventions for sustainable economic growth;
● To create employment opportunities through the creation of new markets in both local, regional and international markets with inventive products;
●To protect new inventions through the assistance of inventors in registering patents locally, regionally and internationally, and also registering other intellectual property rights such as trademarks, and related rights.
● To promote the awareness and the significance of protecting intellectual property;
● To improve the standard of living of our people by encouraging and fostering technology innovations and skills transfer.
To create a united innovative Africa, with a beneficial network of all inventors and innovators across the continent.
MDO is affiliated to the African Inventors’ Corporation Organization (AICO) based in Harare, Zimbabwe.
MDO is also applying for affiliation to IFIA, the international body in a bid to seek representation in the international aspect of intellectual property.