IFIA’s Past, Present, and Future in the New Presidency Period
Less than 5 months have passed since IFIA General Assembly members unanimously voted for a change in the presidency and elected Alireza Rastegar as the new President of IFIA. In the present article, we aim to shed light on the assets of IFIA, the reasons for changing president, the performed actions and the outlook or the objectives that we tend to move toward.
IFIA; Assets and Needs
One of the integral aspects of this international federation is its 50-year antiquity. Some of the influential countries laid its foundation in London and its unity was preserved and expanded throughout different eras despite encountering various predicaments. Creating a vast network of inventors and innovators from the five continents of the world in the form of associations and national organizations can be considered as the other strength. While these associations may be different regarding their quality and the number of activities, their faithful commitment and active participation in this federation is of great value. Viewing the related organizations and the type of IFIA world-wide activities from the perspective of potentiality and capacity, the importance of this network will be highlighted.
We are all aware that a standard international organization requires not only an expanded network and dedicated members but also official and legal registration, efficient and authorized structures, distinct and varied financial resources, effective and continuous member activities as well as extensive relations with international organizations which had been under the shadow of inattention during the last periods. Strategic planning is a logical step towards fulfilling the above-mentioned objectives, in the new period of presidency.
Unanimous vote on the change
Almost all of the IFIA members are conscious of IFIA presidency election in China, Kunshan. However, the reasons why Mr. Alireza Rastegar was elected (the youngest member of the last two periods of presidency) as IFIA president has not been dealt with. Therefore, let’s take them into consideration in details:
- Obviously the most principal reason for this election is the unwritten agreement and the serious determination of members to dramatically change the existing situation and contribute to its improvement relying on its potentialities and far-reaching strengths while this federation was converted into an individual with a traditional perspective.
- The primary distinction between the two main nominees from china and Iran is principally the other critical reason. Why do you think Chinese nominee who was supported by the previous president, backed up by widespread governmental advertisement, and had consultation with most of the member states entered the field of election relying on all these powers did not manage to win the vote of members against Mr. Alireza Rastegar who was an active, young and successful IFIA member, inventor and the founder of unincorporated non-profit First Institute of Inventors in Iran? One can simply find the answer in the fact that IFIA family craved for a trustworthy and popular person who owned the enthusiasm and passion of the youth and longed for making critical changes in the policies and procedures of this federation.
- The third reason is undoubtedly the outlook and presented plans of both presidency nominees. The current IFIA President objectively based his plans on his recognition and experience gained through the years. Moreover, since the members were aware of Mr. Rastegar’s previous actions of holding two successful events in his own country, actively participating in all of the events under the patronage of federation while having in mind the events of the past five years, they were assured of his desire to move in the same direction.
- Last but not least, regardless of the election atmosphere which enjoyed the vast presence of member states in the General Assembly, a feeling of necessity and contribution to strengthen the international federation was prevalent since the identity of members depends heavily on the IFIA potentiality and power.
- Short-term programs of new presidency
The plans of new presidency are arranged in three categories of short, medium and long-term of 6 months, 2 years and 4 years, respectively. Within the last 5 months, there has been an attempt to achieve the determined goals which were arranged based on realities, requirements and available potentialities. The structure-oriented activities include executing and equipping IFIA office in Geneva and Tehran, designing organizational structure and presenting to the member, activating the staff section while employing new staff, and proceeding with IFIA legal registration as an international organization in Geneva registration office and municipality. Activities in the field of branding consist of designing a new high-quality IFIA medal by the best medal manufacturer in Europe, executing a modern and impressive website, creating social networking sites, holding interviews and publishing IFIA-introduction brochure.
Regarding information-centered activities, publishing two numbers of IFIA magazines which is composed of various and related texts, establishing new and attractive booths in international events, gathering and publishing regular reports are worth mentioning.
Increasing the number of member states and strengthening relations with international organizations can be considered as effective activities that have been done during this short period. As such, over 25 new members and 10 old members have expressed their enthusiasm to take part in this federation in the new presidency period. Regarding the infrastructural links, some attempts have been made to establish a serious relationship with Intellectual property Organization, as the most related entity in our field of activity. The meetings between IFIA executive committee members and the directors of the above mentioned organizations has led to signing a mutual contract on running two international projects. Taking into account the issue of supporting international events, we should note that IFIA has encountered a torrent of requests to organize exhibition from its members who have grown a new spirit of perseverance and motivation and over 30 requests from different countries of the world have been received in 2015. After making the necessary arrangements, most of these events were supported within the budget.
The mentioned activities performed by the limited staff of federation during this short period constitute a small part of a huge plan the result of which will be announced to you soon.
The forthcoming plans; requiring the cooperation and companionship of all members
As it is palpable and worthy of consideration, IFIA has strived to reinforce and maintain the members’ new spirit which was obviously manifested in the executive committee meeting held in April, in Geneva, so we tend to work out the best solutions that deeply require further collaboration and impressive cooperation of member states.
Therefore, following you can see the most important plans which are predicted and included in IFIA agenda:
- Improving and promoting legal and structural status of IFIA
- Classifying membership according to the quantity of activities and activity report
- Benefiting from the strong point of national organizations to expand IFIA activities
- Extending the name, logo and brand of IFIA
- Attracting financial support through national and international organizations to run common projects.
- Establishing marketing and advertising section and creating variety in financial resources
- Enhancing further interactions and agreements with the related international organizations
- Capitalizing and taking advantage of the potentiality of youth and women inventors by activating related networks.
- Organizing scientific Oscar Olympiad with WIPO’s contribution to select the highest ranking invention
- Launching IFIA comprehensive website
- Finalizing membership fee as well as mutual services and collaborations with other countries
- Reinforcing continental and regional confederations
- Holding educational workshops
- Designing a quality and quantity rating system for inventions in countries and universities.
- Empowering international exhibitions with their main focus on IFIA’s role and presence
Wish you the best of luck