The Technical University of Oruro (TUO)
The Technical University of Oruro (TUO), an institution of higher education, aims to train qualified professionals in undergraduate and post-graduate careers with high human quality recovering ancestral knowledge through an academic offer of quality which stimulates the development of teaching, research, extension, innovation and connection with the environment. One of TUO’s main missions is contributing to human development and sustainable development in accordance with the academic model of the Bolivian University System. TUO carries out the development of science, technology, and innovation through agreements with various universities abroad including the University of the State of Parana UNIOESTE of Brazil. The TUO has patented products in the National Intellectual Property Service (SENAPI) of Bolivia. The patented products refer mostly to innovative equipment and processes in the area of lithium concentration from rich solutions with a high lithium content of the Uyuni salt flat. The Technical University of Oruro together with its researchers possesses a variety of works of invention, among which wastewater treatment, a harvest of quinoa, agricultural production models have been applied for the development of Bolivia and its industry.
M.Sc. Eng. David Emilio Ismael Rojas
The origin of the Technical University of Oruro dates back to 1876, the year in which the Law School began to function as a private company. Its creation was driven by the dynamics of knowledge as an expression of the thriving economic labor growth in Oruro at the end of the 19th century. The Technical University of Oruro was founded by Law of October 15, 1892, with the name of DISTRITO UNIVERSITARIO DE ORURO during the presidency of Dr. Mariano Baptista. Later, on November 12, 1937, during the government of the Military Junta chaired by the Tcnl. Germán Bush issued the Supreme Decree recognizing the autonomy of the UNIVERSITY DISTRICT OF ORURO with the name of UNIVERSITY OF SAN AGUSTIN. The current name of UNIVERSIDAD TECNICA DE ORURO, was adopted on March 31, 1941, in the rectory management of Dr. Josermo Murillo Vacarreza; by virtue of the great interest of the university classes in guiding and directing higher education in the department of Oruro to the technical branches linked to production.