TH | NRCT
Professor Sirirurg Songsivilai, M.D., Ph.D.
Prof. Emeritus Dr. Kasem Watanachai
Deputy Executive Director
Dr. Wiparat De-ong
The National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT) was inaugurated by the National Research Council Act B.E.2502 (1959) and was designated by the Cabinet as the national body responsible for the implementation of research related matters. The NRCT is also assigned to give comments to the Prime Minister when requested.
The administrative body of the NRCT is consisted of three parts; the first one is the National Research Council chaired by Prime Minister, with Deputy Prime Ministers as Vice Chairmen, and Ministers are Deputy Ministers as Advisors; the second one is the National Research Council Executive Board; and the last body is the Office of the National Research Council of Thailand headed by Secretary-General.
One of the main function of NRCT is to formulate national research policy and strategy, and to set the direction in which the national research main plan is driven. The National Research Policy and Strategy covering five years period has formulated since 1977 as a research implementation guideline for research agencies and a framework for the analysis of research proposals submitted by government agencies for annual budget allocation. It also provides a policy basis that is corresponding with the National Economic and Social Development Plan.
The Eight National Research Policy and Strategy (2012-2016) has an aim to produce and utilize high quality researches for a balanced and sustainable national development for Thailand. Priority of budget allocation will be given to research projects that comply with the 13 target research grouping : Application of Sufficiency Economy; State Security and Good Governance; Education Reform and Knowledge Creation; Water-resource Management; Global Warming and Alternative Energy; Agricultural Sustainability; Health Promotion, Prevention and Rehabilitation; Environmental Management and Development; Cutting-edge Technology for Industry; Tourism Management; Elderly Society; Logistics; and Research System and Reform.
NRCT is the main organization that guides the country’s development through research results and knowledge as well as developing the country’s research leadership.
- Formulate and drive national research policies and strategies To be the main organization to integrate the research budget of all related departments.
- Develop research infrastructure Research personnel and research standards development National Research Information Database And research networks at different levels to support public, private, and community / local research. As well as promoting the country’s research leadership.
- Monitor and evaluate the results of the country’s research Including research system reform And forwarding potential research In order to develop further towards the concrete utilization.
Policy and Strategy
- Development of social development potential and capability.
- Development of economic development potential and capability.
- Conservation, promotion, and development of natural resources and environmental capital.
- Development of innovation and research personnel potential and capability.